Wednesday, October 14, 2009

black n' blue

it finally happened. i've broken my pinky toe. it seems like a rite of passage into motherhood or womanhood or adulthood or something! you have to break your toe. my mom has broken hers several times, and more than 1 of the other sessions' ladies have broken their toes too! so if you haven't broken yours yet, beware. and don't cut corners in your house too closely. and watch out for those sneaky little baby bouncy chairs. that's what got me. i bounded down the hall this past friday with a little too much pizazz and WHAM, broken. at first i thought it was just badly stubbed. but when you look at your foot and your pinky toe points out at a painfully perfect 45 degree angle, you know something's up.

of course i started sobbing, worrying more about how wonky my toe's going to look for the rest of my life than about the actual pain. but i also couldn't help but laugh at the same time, looking at my poor pathetic little toe, all askew. logan didn't know what to do, so he laughed with me when i laughed, and then tried to be loving and helpful when i got mad at him for laughing. (only I am allowed to laugh!)

a few pictures:

this is several hours after it happened. it had been taped up for a while and looked a little better. i wish i had gotten a pic of it right when i broke it. it was much more gnarly than this.



the next day. the bruising kicked in. it is really bruised today, but i'll leave it at this. i'm sure no one wants to look at any more pictures of my feet than they have to.


i called the doctor and this is how they told me to tape it. should i go see someone to check the toe, just in case? everyone says that there's nothing you can do for a broken toe, so don't bother. but i'm worried...

1 comment:

Emy W. said...

Go in for an x-ray just to make sure that nothing happened to your metatarsal. Plus maybe if your toe is broken very badly they can at least set it and then tape it?

:( I hope it heals quickly!